Log in: Kristin Meier
I fashioned this smoothie after my Brownies with Flax Seed and Black Beans. As I enjoyed my fair share of the brownie batter, I thought that I could use the tasty combination of brownie ingredients to make a fiber-rich, chocolaty, sweet treat. Hence, the Chocolate Flax Black Bean Banana Smoothie was born. Enjoy!
- 1 (15 ounce) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 ripe bananas, (fresh or frozen, frozen is my preference to make it more like a milkshake, but make sure you freeze the banana without the peel!)
- 1 T agave nectar (optional)
- 1 T black strap molasses (optional)
- ¼ c unsweetened cocoa
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 t vanilla (optional)
- 1 t almond extract (optional)
- 1 T ground flax seed
- 2 cups nondairy milk, such as coconut or almond, add more if necessary to reach desired consistency
Chocolate Nut Smoothie: add ¼ c almonds, peanuts, or walnuts
Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie: add ½ c frozen organic raspberries or all-fruit raspberry preserves
Add all ingredients to a blender or Vitamix. Blend to desired consistency. For an added treat, top it with Coconut Cream.
If you happen to have any leftovers, you can freeze them… it’s like a Fudgesicle, but better!